Content Contributor
zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
USA
"Kevin McCarthy has proposed a vote on a proposal called the Fair Tax, which would abolish the current federal income tax and replace it with a 30% national sales tax. 30 percent."

No retailer, corporation, or business in their right mind would support this.
The day they pass this is when I'll immediately only buy food in stores and nothing else. You know what, maybe they could pass this. I might actually save a lot of money in the long run because my spending will DRASTICALLY decrease.

Jay
Jay
But it would immediately put more money in people’s pockets on day one because the government wouldn’t be taking it out of your check.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
Super Moderator
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
"Kevin McCarthy has proposed a vote on a proposal called the Fair Tax, which would abolish the current federal income tax and replace it with a 30% national sales tax. 30 percent."

No retailer, corporation, or business in their right mind would support this.
The day they pass this is when I'll immediately only buy food in stores and nothing else. You know what, maybe they could pass this. I might actually save a lot of money in the long run because my spending will DRASTICALLY decrease.
The American people wouldn't support it. Even without high sales taxes, consumer spending has been on the decline. If Congress passes a 30% sales tax, then a lot of retailers will end up closing their doors.

Jay
Jay
But it’s a 30% sales tax in lieu of getting your pockets hit by the government. Some of my checks at my old job were taxed 43%.

The Honorable

Royal Sixer
Tither
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Terrymist
    Terrymist
    VAT generates a lot of money for the government, this cannot be understated. It went from 17.5% to 20% in 2011. The poorest people tend to spend a higher proportion of disposable income on VAT than the richest.

To your point, VAT is double taxation as we pay for goods and services using income that has already been taxed. A lot of people are unhappy having to do this.