The Cookout

Random musings, lighthearted communication, and good vibes.

Stats

Category
Entertainment
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views
1M

Girls (and guys too), how did the lack of representation affect you while you were growing up?

lexodyssey

Senior Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
Meaning dolls, Disney movies, magazines, etc. When I was little, I remember I wanted to dress up as a princess for Halloween, but I changed my mind when I realized my skin tone didn't match any of the princess costumes. I also remember my dad explaining the lack of representation in the shows that were on at the time.

I'm glad kids now have Princess Tiana, Black Panther, and so much other representation that can show them they're important too. Hopefully they don't deal with it as much.

eclipsed

Sixer
Down From Day 1
zBucks
I was raised in a way not to think of skin color. It helped me in some ways and hindered me in other ways. If I wanted to be Spiderman or something for Halloween, that is what I would be. I didn't care Peter Parker was white. I come from a mixed family though so within my family, it was a non-issue but I have been told "You can't like___" or "You can't be ___" because you aren't white! That is what bothered me most. It was other people and what they would say to me. I got it from white kids and black kids.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Meaning dolls, Disney movies, magazines, etc. When I was little, I remember I wanted to dress up as a princess for Halloween, but I changed my mind when I realized my skin tone didn't match any of the princess costumes. I also remember my dad explaining the lack of representation in the shows that were on at the time.

I'm glad kids now have Princess Tiana, Black Panther, and so much other representation that can show them they're important too. Hopefully they don't deal with it as much.

I never really thought about it. I was raised to be proud of who I was and so what I saw externally didn't have an impact on my sense of self. You just grow up seeing White people in everything and realize that you too could be in everything if you put your mind to it. I personally don't think representation in the American context means anything. Who cares if a Black person becomes the CEO of a White owned big Pharma company....I want the capital and connections to build a fully Black owned one.

A lot of representation is just tokenism to make you think you live in a meritocracy. Yeah there's one Black VP at a Silicon Valley company but when Joe Black Guy tries to get in even an entry level job there he has to fight a sea of racist Whites and Asians who will try to limit him at every stop. I want Blacicon Valley...bypass those folks altogether...now that's representation, TO ME.

DaBeast

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It did kinda bug me growing up, because I didn't have many characters to look up to. Maybe the black power ranger, but of course they put him in the black suit, probably because he's black. I think we got a lot of representation from tv though. The likes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Martin, Family Matters, The Cosby Show (now has a stigma to it because of what Cosby has done, but I grew up with that show and it still holds a spot in my heart), and more.

Plus hip-hop music, I felt like I was represented there as well, because it was music for us.

As for toys and other things. I didn't really care all that much. I think GI Joe eventually made an African American soldier in their line. I swear I had one, but maybe it was made elsewhere. But yeah, we def weren't represented in toys.

Honestly, I think we ended up having to represent ourselves. It almost seems like we had to always make it ourselves. From the magazines, movies, toys, etc. Because we know no one else was bothering to do it, so we had to do it ourselves.

Real One

Sixer
    zBucks
    It did suck not having representation in a lot of things. I was seeing it happen with movies and tv, but we didn't get many toys of our own, it was always the white people toys. But, I will admit I had my share of Batman figures. But, it would have been dope to see a black Batman finally come about. Surprised that hasn't happened yet.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    For me it was the opposite of the title of this thread.

In HS I became friends with a brotha who was from money. His dad is a millionaire. Changed me. It was the first rich black person I met in person. They were also cool as hell. Dude had 3 homes in 3 cities in the rich part of town. A jag and I think a benzo. Low key guy, not flashy. He dressed quiet money. High quality clothes but understated. I ate up anything he said, and did.

The fact that you can see and know someone like that is inspirational. Completely transformational.

I'm still friends with his son and I told him I looked up to his pops and he was the reason I thought I could be successful. His pops was very surprised to hear that as he was just bring his son and his son's friend around to places. It's important to tell people who molded you. They often have no idea they were inspiring.

I am no where as successful as I would like but from what I grew up with socio-economically, the homies think I am.