App Beta Tester
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA

A lot of artists are cashing out and selling their catalogs. I think the streaming era is coming to an end soon. I can't imagine these investment groups are spending MILLIONS on music catalogs just to keep it on streaming platforms and tv/movie placements to make profit.

D

Deleted member 191

Possibly, but I doubt it. What other form besides the radio do people consume music?
Turning everything into an OnlyFans or Patreon or Youtube channel paywall? I suppose those are possibilities but, they don't sound particularly sustainable.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something else. Legends like Mike and Prince demonstrated how your catalogs and masters should be treated like stock. You hold on to it and then you cash out. Maybe makes some unique concessions for royalties or whatever if that's how it need to work).

But Logic always gave me the impression that he's a nerdy tech kinda guy. His Youtube channel was full of videos from Music to video games, to interviews, to life in general. Music is a means to a bigger end for him I always felt.

Even still, you might be right though, maybe it is coming to an end soon.

Jay

The First Sixer
HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA

A lot of artists are cashing out and selling their catalogs. I think the streaming era is coming to an end soon. I can't imagine these investment groups are spending MILLIONS on music catalogs just to keep it on streaming platforms and tv/movie placements to make profit.
    I think it’s a long play by the company buying up all the catalogs. They are looking at it like this:

- Pay $X Billion for 60% of popular music catalogs.
    - Said catalog generates $250M/year in revenue
    - $50M goes to admin fees
    -$200M distributed to shareholders

After a certain amount of years the fund will make a profit and they may make some type of music back security or something with it.

Also if it has most popular music under its control it will have huge haggling power with the streaming media companies.