Politics, Current Events, and Serious Discussion

Stats

Category
News and Politics
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

South America And The Forgotten Black Diaspora: Why?

ZxBro

Royal Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    South America has such a rich history that never seems to be touched on when we talk about Black People and our Melaninated Story, why is that? Is it the media bias? Or are we just not interested? The 2nd most number of Black People on the planet besides Africa and the same struggles that the Central and North American Black's go through just wondering why they're rarely brought up in historic conversations or even history in general. One People
    One Love ✊🏿💯❗️

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's because them Black people too busy trying to be accepted as Latin. They don't even see themselves as Black so they don't even advocate for their story to be told.

ZxBro
    ZxBro
    I get the sentiment that You and B1Rebel have towards them but should we throw the whole culture away because of it? The people I've met from the Southern Continent even some from Central America have been pretty solid when it comes to dealing with the ways of white supremacy from their homeland as well as here in Amerikkka I know that Black Americans remain the Vanguard of this race war just pointing out that our Black Story is world wide and repeated in many different cultures even here in Amerikkka we have many that are off code and comfortable with assimilation and bowing down to the dominant society. Finding those that are willing to fight the power isn't an easy task.....but trust they are out there. ✊🏿💯❗️
    Jay
    Jay
    I don’t throw it away I know Salsa, Bachata, etc and a lot of the foods are African. But the reason why it is not known as Black creations is because the Black Latinos largely don’t have a Black identity so they don’t claim it as Black.

So when we interface with this lovely culture it’s marked as Latin rather than African.
    Reactions: ZxBro

B1 rebel 365

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Refuse to Disclose
    South America has such a rich history that never seems to be touched on when we talk about Black People and our Melaninated Story, why is that? Is it the media bias? Or are we just not interested? The 2nd most number of Black People on the planet besides Africa and the same struggles that the Central and North American Black's go through just wondering why they're rarely brought up in historic conversations or even history in general. One People
    One Love ✊🏿💯❗️
    It's also because the indigenous black people have become a minority through interracial mixing and predictable denial of any black African heritage. They own and control nothing so black consciousness is difficult and not as impactful as in America. The majority of non whites just wanna fit in with the dominant group for a perceived better quality of life. That's why we have such a pervasive sellout culture throughout the diaspora. No one wants to challenge WS in their own country.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Nobody likes to play for the losing team.
    IXKQmv1.png

cjg

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ... a combination of reasons, imo ... I saw somewhere how Black Brazil had a cultural moment to instill black pride, but it was hidden (and I think short lived)

... The Internet is one of the greatest inventions, ... Information that we normally would have to scour libraries for (most of us weren't doing that, including me) , about other countries is now at our fingertips .... News from other countries travels at the speed of social media now, it's wild! :) ...

Point is, we never felt a connection to learn ... Even the slightest inkling of news in that regard would have caused us to want to learn more (I'm sure when peeps heard about the Battle of Adwa - how Ethiopia kicked Italian tail, Haiti and others, the news sparked a desire to learn ... Those revolutions helped us to spark our revolutions in America .. especially Adwa, but, kinda unpopular opinion nowadays, and another conversation)

That's another issue ... He who controls the media, controls the narrative... In Latin America, the images are very controlled. Most of the images presented are of white people ... When I was in Brazil, I heard of this Brazilian that started some Afro station, but I'm not sure what became of it ...

... Some of these countries have only recently started recognizing Afros ... Ie Mexico just started including them on the census! (How does a country that once had more African enslaved than white ppl, who abolished slavery before the US, and whom our ppl ran to to escape slavery as one destination, how did they get in this position?)

I can count on one hand how many times I've seen non-american blacks on TV there (in my limited travels) ... When I see some, I'm pleasantly surprised...

... Cosign what's mentioned above ... Here we got white, black and other .. there they got pardo, trigueno, dougla etc ... It's so fractured, ppl are confused ... They like "what identity should I develop" ...a confused mind probably defaults to what's easy .. go with the mainstream ..

Finally, America is just naturally self centered... Just like in school, when we get to Vasco de Gama, Cortez, etc (personally speaking) , its just a mention, then we focus on what happened in America... some of us, ... That's not what we on, tbh ..

... I personally would love to hear more about LA and their struggles... But I know theirs is drastically different than ours ... I don't know whose brand of racism is more heinous (nah, I think Am got that, hands down, but their are some close runner ups, I'm sure) ... Divide and conquer over time has caused lack of identity, not as many of them, etc ... I don't fault the process ... You wonder why Sammy Sosa made his conversion, and they be like 'I no black'

... When the rest of your people have no power en masse, divided, and police brutality shows it's face , what side will you choose lol (easy for us to say, but it's true ... Us Black Americans don't realize how much of a golden position we were out in by our ancestors, they really paved our identity and existence) ...

... Digressing, but, yeah :)

cjg

Master Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ... a few highlights to underscore ... So my wife is dark skinned ... When I brought her to my adopted family in Brazil , my peeps were clowning me ... 'So voce sabe' .. apparently, marrying lighter skin is the move/badge of honour... I told them we in America don't think that way and we're more open minded ...

.. they stopped laughing after that ... It was definitely a learning experience.. I'm glad I could share that perspective with them, but I fear they will still think that way (bettering the race or mejorando la Raza - that adage is pervasive all over, especially in LA, but even in the US to a certain extent)

.. on another note, our Black American culture is definitely at the forefront to the point where our negatives start to affect ...

I know a barbershop called 'Niggaz' , although I'm not sure if it's still standing ... I was walking in Sampa Brazil when I stop and dwell on the name .. they saw me staring, so knew I was American.. the owner was like, 'No problem in Brazil ...

... A bit delusional :) ... Definitely, those that can are too busy trying to fit in to the broader culture ...

B
    B1 rebel 365
    And we all thought America was THE most phuc'd up country ever.
    The real irony is that all these irrelevant groups and governing elites of stolen lands and continents are the real losers because they are at pains to indoctrinate black people -THE original human prototype of creation, that they are less than yet take all their cues from us and are still appropriating OUR black historic identity. How the hell are they authentically going to claim a history and culture steeped in melanin in Africa yet white in complexion and slovenly in character; doubiously abandon that rich enviable culture to, inexplicably, migrate to a distant geographic location with less sun; adopt and write in a totally different language
    -no hieroglyphs, and built NO pyramids there though historically renowned for this ingenuity and, oddly, are THE least spiritual of all mankind yet claim to be God's people?!
    Sadly though, many black people are still persuaded to believe the whitewashing indoctrination.
    Our oppressors are never going to give up the fight and neither should we!

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Straight from the mouth of a Black Brazilian.

jiggalaugh

walter white GIF

Some of yall really lame with this "such and such said this so the whole country thinks the same", grow up friend, i was just joking.

Black brazilians have been making moves since the 1600's:

Palmares is the largest and best known of Brazil’s quilombos, communities established by Africans who had escaped slavery. First documented around the 1580s, it was home to between 6,000 and 20,000 people and was a more or less autonomous state located in the north-east of Brazil. The scale of the transatlantic slave trade to Brazil is often underestimated: of the nearly 11 million Africans taken by force to the Americas, 5 million disembarked in Brazil, over 10 times more than in North America.

First black brazilian newspaper called "Homem de Cor" ( "Colored Man") published in 1833:

Political party:
    The Brazilian Black Front (Portuguese: Frente Negra Brasileira, FNB), part of the Black Movement of Brazil, was Brazil's first political party representing the Black community.
    Formed in 1931 and active until the November 10, 1937 suspension of political parties by the then president, Getúlio Vargas, the Frente mobilized Brazil's Afro-Descendant community for a project of racial equality.

There was even a black only soccer league when negroes were not allowed to play the national league:

Liga das Canelas Pretas, o torneio antirracista nos primórdios do futebol gaúcho

Apelido surgiu para caracterizar a associação alternativa fundada por clubes negros de Porto Alegre no início do século XX, quando suas participações entre os campeonatos de elite eram vetadas​

OX2NFX4LK7FRHLORXT7FXFPOGI.jpg

Or what about this one:

The information is stored all over the internet for those interested about reading it. If you don't know about other countries history is either because you have no interest or struggle with a foreing language. It has nothing to do with "tHeY dOnT cOnSiDeR thEmSelVeS bLAck".

Last edited:
    B
    B1 rebel 365
    Some really interesting info to check out 👍🏿
    However, contrary to your analysis, a lot of the disconnect between ethnic cultures IS because many black people of varying hues do not want to be black and delude themselves in the belief that because they feel 'white' inwardly they will be perceived as white if they project whiteness 🙄 Yes, it's called self hate!

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    ... a combination of reasons, imo ... I saw somewhere how Black Brazil had a cultural moment to instill black pride, but it was hidden (and I think short lived)

... The Internet is one of the greatest inventions, ... Information that we normally would have to scour libraries for (most of us weren't doing that, including me) , about other countries is now at our fingertips .... News from other countries travels at the speed of social media now, it's wild! :) ...

Point is, we never felt a connection to learn ... Even the slightest inkling of news in that regard would have caused us to want to learn more (I'm sure when peeps heard about the Battle of Adwa - how Ethiopia kicked Italian tail, Haiti and others, the news sparked a desire to learn ... Those revolutions helped us to spark our revolutions in America .. especially Adwa, but, kinda unpopular opinion nowadays, and another conversation)

That's another issue ... He who controls the media, controls the narrative... In Latin America, the images are very controlled. Most of the images presented are of white people ... When I was in Brazil, I heard of this Brazilian that started some Afro station, but I'm not sure what became of it ...

... Some of these countries have only recently started recognizing Afros ... Ie Mexico just started including them on the census! (How does a country that once had more African enslaved than white ppl, who abolished slavery before the US, and whom our ppl ran to to escape slavery as one destination, how did they get in this position?)

I can count on one hand how many times I've seen non-american blacks on TV there (in my limited travels) ... When I see some, I'm pleasantly surprised...

... Cosign what's mentioned above ... Here we got white, black and other .. there they got pardo, trigueno, dougla etc ... It's so fractured, ppl are confused ... They like "what identity should I develop" ...a confused mind probably defaults to what's easy .. go with the mainstream ..

Finally, America is just naturally self centered... Just like in school, when we get to Vasco de Gama, Cortez, etc (personally speaking) , its just a mention, then we focus on what happened in America... some of us, ... That's not what we on, tbh ..

... I personally would love to hear more about LA and their struggles... But I know theirs is drastically different than ours ... I don't know whose brand of racism is more heinous (nah, I think Am got that, hands down, but their are some close runner ups, I'm sure) ... Divide and conquer over time has caused lack of identity, not as many of them, etc ... I don't fault the process ... You wonder why Sammy Sosa made his conversion, and they be like 'I no black'

... When the rest of your people have no power en masse, divided, and police brutality shows it's face , what side will you choose lol (easy for us to say, but it's true ... Us Black Americans don't realize how much of a golden position we were out in by our ancestors, they really paved our identity and existence) ...

... Digressing, but, yeah :)
    I recommend this book right here

Brazil, mixture or massacre? : essays in the genocide of a Black people​

Nascimento explodes the myth of a "racial democracy" in Brazil. The author is a major figure in Afro-Brazilian arts, politics and scholarship. He founded the Black Experimental Theatre in Rio de Janeiro in 1944 and was an elected member of the Brazilian Congress from 1982 to 1986
    91SNXAZ.png

168uOfR.png

hS11QLS.png

iYoxD7a.png

Last edited:

B1 rebel 365

Master Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Other
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Refuse to Disclose
    I want to comment on:
    'There was even a black only soccer league when negroes were not allowed to play the national league'

I think that was a missed opportunity to keep it exclusively black. Imagine where we'd be socio-economically-politically today in Brazil and other black countries inevitably following suit!

Today, since the 60s, these avaricious racist hueless bastards controlling football leagues under FIFA have been making billions off the incomparable talent of black players and still treat them as commodities on the stock market whilst the white hierarchy receive the lion's share of the revenue generated.

That's an industry we could've been masters of our own destiny with and perhaps broken the white mold of monopoly over us 🤔 Our Achilles heel is that we're always too considerate and accepting. If we were too black to play football with them back then we should've maintained that we'd still be too black to make money for them off of our black skills!

Tia2You

Registered
    I’m New Here
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's also because the indigenous black people have become a minority through interracial mixing and predictable denial of any black African heritage. They own and control nothing so black consciousness is difficult and not as impactful as in America. The majority of non whites just wanna fit in with the dominant group for a perceived better quality of life. That's why we have such a pervasive sellout culture throughout the diaspora. No one wants to challenge WS in their own country.
    These indigenous souls are not Black. They would not classify themselves as such. Simply put they belong to nations that have been destroyed. They do not know the truth but they know they are not from Afrixa. I ain't Afrixan so I cannot blame them for not claiming Afrixa. Secondly, there is no outreach to uplift them from these distant places. When you know who you truly are you are annoyed by the out of Afrixa lies.

Optimisitcally futuristic,

Tia

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    The Portuguese did a pretty good job on the mentality down there. The slave trade there was the most brutal probably and that's with saying it was ALL brutal AF, but the Portuguese simply worked them to death because it was so easy getting new ones. The vast majority of the Atlantic slave trade went to Brazil. However, even with all that there were significant maroon towns of escaped slaves historically in Brazil. And just like the uprisings and maroon populations in other parts of the Americas (South Carolina, Haiti, Florida, Jamaica), they put in work.

Secondly, things are changing. There is an increased pride in black Brazilians these days. Blacks in Bahia state are getting bolder and bolder.

Overall it could be much better but we can't over generalize. That melanin kicks in at different times in our connected history of Black peoples. They got a long way to go as a collective but things are changing.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    These indigenous souls are not Black. They would not classify themselves as such. Simply put they belong to nations that have been destroyed. They do not know the truth but they know they are not from Afrixa. I ain't Afrixan so I cannot blame them for not claiming Afrixa. Secondly, there is no outreach to uplift them from these distant places. When you know who you truly are you are annoyed by the out of Afrixa lies.

Optimisitcally futuristic,

Tia
    The out of Africa theory is a lie indeed. However some of us did come from Africa.

Inca_kings_1.jpg

800px-Bonampak_Painting.jpg

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Kanu (great soccer player by the way),

Folks will have their view of Brazil or anywhere. Most folks will go with the narrative of what they 'heard'. Africans there have this view of black Americans that are way off. I've been asked. I know. FBA masses as well. Same with Caribbean blacks and British blacks.

It's frustrating if you know better but it is what it is. You can state all the facts you want and some folks would rather go with their own narrative they have been comfortable with for years instead of changing.

There are places homies have said I heard such and such is like this. And I said 'Nah, I've been there, its not like that its like this' and they respond with 'Yeah, but I heard...." and I realize they would rather believe their own false narrative than accept facts. Its human nature maybe.

Kanu

Senior Sixer
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Latin America
    Kanu (great soccer player by the way),

Folks will have their view of Brazil or anywhere. Most folks will go with the narrative of what they 'heard'. Africans there have this view of black Americans that are way off. I've been asked. I know. FBA masses as well. Same with Caribbean blacks and British blacks.

It's frustrating if you know better but it is what it is. You can state all the facts you want and some folks would rather go with their own narrative they have been comfortable with for years instead of changing.

There are places homies have said I heard such and such is like this. And I said 'Nah, I've been there, its not like that its like this' and they respond with 'Yeah, but I heard...." and I realize they would rather believe their own false narrative than accept facts. Its human nature maybe.
    You're right brother, people already have their minds made up most of the time. I don't even take it seriously tbh.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    On another note, I want to hit Salvador, Bahia in the north heavy. Something you may or may not know but a lot of Yoruba influences in there. I think there is a place in South Carolina that has a Yoruba settlement as well.

Anyway, melanin enriched peoples have been getting it in, all over. Sometimes it was a long time ago, sometimes right now, but at some point in all our histories the people represented. Brazil, America, Caribbean, other areas all had maroon villages from escaped slaves, revolts, etc. The circumstances, the enslavers, the terrain, all kinds of things affected it.

At one point everyone fought in some form or fashion. The goal is for all of us to fight at the same time now and in unity. Probably won't happen but all you can do is do you.

D

Deleted member 1946

One Love ✊🏿💯❗️
    Good question. Didn't they whiten whole areas of South America that used to be Black people?

D

Deleted member 1946

It's because them Black people too busy trying to be accepted as Latin. They don't even see themselves as Black so they don't even advocate for their story to be told.
    Of course. Everything except who we are. Always trying to fit into somebody else's narrative. And are always trying to include others in our struggle instead of strategically using them for our own benefit. We have NO friends as Dr. John Henrik Clarke told us in the 90s.

D

Deleted member 1946

I never can understand how we can get somewhere when so many of our richest Black folks tend to get married or date white folks or even Black folks who are so close to being White in skin complexion. This is done on purpose to bleach us out.

zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    ... a few highlights to underscore ... So my wife is dark skinned ... When I brought her to my adopted family in Brazil , my peeps were clowning me ... 'So voce sabe' .. apparently, marrying lighter skin is the move/badge of honour... I told them we in America don't think that way and we're more open minded ...

.. they stopped laughing after that ... It was definitely a learning experience.. I'm glad I could share that perspective with them, but I fear they will still think that way (bettering the race or mejorando la Raza - that adage is pervasive all over, especially in LA, but even in the US to a certain extent)

.. on another note, our Black American culture is definitely at the forefront to the point where our negatives start to affect ...

I know a barbershop called 'Niggaz' , although I'm not sure if it's still standing ... I was walking in Sampa Brazil when I stop and dwell on the name .. they saw me staring, so knew I was American.. the owner was like, 'No problem in Brazil ...

... A bit delusional :) ... Definitely, those that can are too busy trying to fit in to the broader culture ...
    The backwardness is tiring.

D

Deleted member 1946

On another note, I want to hit Salvador, Bahia in the north heavy. Something you may or may not know but a lot of Yoruba influences in there. I think there is a place in South Carolina that has a Yoruba settlement as well.

Anyway, melanin enriched peoples have been getting it in, all over. Sometimes it was a long time ago, sometimes right now, but at some point in all our histories the people represented. Brazil, America, Caribbean, other areas all had maroon villages from escaped slaves, revolts, etc. The circumstances, the enslavers, the terrain, all kinds of things affected it.

At one point everyone fought in some form or fashion. The goal is for all of us to fight at the same time now and in unity. Probably won't happen but all you can do is do you.
    Yep. All we can do is try our best to do the things we can do.