Politics, Current Events, and Serious Discussion

Stats

Category
News and Politics
Total members
Total events
Total discussions
Total views

Tyla, Who Is NOT Black Just Won A Black Entertainment Television Award-Let's Chat

zBucks
Sex
Female
Race
Black
Origin
Africa
I want to start off by saying I think Tyla is very, very gifted. Beautiful. She definitely stands out.

However, given that Blackness is an experience and not simply just music, I have a problem with her winning a Black Entertainment Television Award. Here's my thing: if she is "mixed", "colored" or whatever she identifies as, she should be marketed globally and not just to Black folk. I am so sick and tired of whites and mixed whites producing music to further enmesh in Black culture and get Black dollars.

This is our fault though. We do not gatekeep Blackness and then 15-20 years down the road these same whites/mixed whites will proclaim that Blacks used to bully them and that they do not see themselves as Black anymore (Amber Rose. Jasmine Guy). Again, Tyla is talented , but I'm tired of the "I'm Not Blacks" winning Black awards and dollars. Ok, my rant is done. Yall take care. Tyla-at-2024-BET-Award-.jpg

educatedman23

Sixer
Community Host
zBucks
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Origin
USA
I want to start off by saying I think Tyla is very, very gifted. Beautiful. She definitely stands out.

However, given that Blackness is an experience and not simply just music, I have a problem with her winning a Black Entertainment Television Award. Here's my thing: if she is "mixed", "colored" or whatever she identifies as, she should be marketed globally and not just to Black folk. I am so sick and tired of whites and mixed whites producing music to further enmesh in Black culture and get Black dollars.

This is our fault though. We do not gatekeep Blackness and then 15-20 years down the road these same whites/mixed whites will proclaim that Blacks used to bully them and that they do not see themselves as Black anymore (Amber Rose. Jasmine Guy). Again, Tyla is talented , but I'm tired of the "I'm Not Blacks" winning Black awards and dollars. Ok, my rant is done. Yall take care. View attachment 9115
We definitely need to gatekeep our culture. Some of our folks have said that Eminem is the goat of hip hop and rap.