Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What are you guys thoughts on tethers? especially the tethers that live amongst African-Americans. Do you have no problems with them? or do you have problems with them, and why? I would really like to know other 6ers thoughts on other Black ethnic groups that live along side us in the USA. =)

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's weird and disrespectful for tethers to infiltrate our (FBA) circles and act like they're one of us.
    Even if they're 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, that doesn't mean that they have a right to claim any parts of our Black American culture.
    For example, there are several international users of this site. Most of them stay in their lane & rep where they're from (s/o Kanu), but there are a few who try to fit in with the rest of us and steal our culture, like we can't read their accents.
    If somebody is an immigrant, I believe they should claim & celebrate their land of origin. Be proud to be Angolan, Zambian, Trini, Cape Verdean, British, Jamaican, Panamanian, or whatever.
    That's honorable, and acceptable. That country's culture is yours.
    FBA culture is ours.
    Tethers should stop trying to claim it.

OG_ShakUr

Sixer
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's weird and disrespectful for tethers to infiltrate our (FBA) circles and act like they're one of us.
    Even if they're 1st or 2nd generation immigrants, that doesn't mean that they have a right to claim any parts of our Black American culture.
    For example, there are several international users of this site. Most of them stay in their lane & rep where they're from (s/o Kanu), but there are a few who try to fit in with the rest of us and steal our culture, like we can't read their accents.
    If somebody is an immigrant, I believe they should claim & celebrate their land of origin. Be proud to be Angolan, Zambian, Trini, Cape Verdean, British, Jamaican, Panamanian, or whatever.
    FBA culture is ours.
    They should be treated like domestic c🦝🦝nz

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    They should be treated like domestic c🦝🦝nz
    If they're anti-FBA, then sure. There are some Black immigrants who are cool, so I can't paint them all with the same brush.
    However, I look at the tethers who try to claim our culture/struggle/achievement/holidays/etc. the same way I look at white folks who try to eat off of us. They're culture vultures.
    Birds Vulture GIF by BBC America

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    If they're anti-FBA, then sure. There are some Black immigrants who are cool, so I can't paint them all with the same brush.
    However, I look at the tethers who try to claim our culture/struggle/achievement/holidays/etc. the same way I look at white folks who try to eat off of us. They're culture vultures.
    Birds Vulture GIF by BBC America
    Yeah, I think some tethers are okay, I'm cool with a bunch of them actually. The tethers who like to take away from our culture are the ones that i'm not too fond of, and also the illegal immigrated tethers too I don't like also. But if you're an honest tether living in someone elses land, then I have no problems with them whatsoever. All I've said also goes with YTs also.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I hate the term "tether" when it is used as a synonym for "Non-Black American". When you call everyone that is not Black American a tether you are basically making your own version of akata. But tether in the since of it being an Black immigrant coon then I feel the same about them as I do Kanye West and Larry Elder.

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I hate the term "tether" when it is used as a synonym for "Non-Black American". When you call everyone that is not Black American a tether you are basically making your own version of akata. But tether in the since of it being an Black immigrant coon then I feel the same about them as I do Kanye West and Larry Elder.

I'm not really using it as a insult though, it's just less wordy to not say "Caribbean and Africans", or "Foreign born Blacks that aren't African-American ethnically", or something along those lines. Don't take the word that serious, it has barely any history behind it anyways. It has a nifty use if you look past the people who use it to offend other people (Which it's not a very offensive word to begin with anyways).

However I do understand where you're coming from, even though I do not agree.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I'm not really using it as a insult though, it's just less wordy to not say "Caribbean and Africans", or "Foreign born Blacks that aren't African-American ethnically", or something along those lines. Don't take the word that serious, it has barely any history behind it anyways. It has a nifty use if you look past the people who use it to offend other people (Which it's not a very offensive word to begin with anyways).

However I do understand where you're coming from, even though I do not agree.
    That's the same thing the Nigerians say when we take issue with Akata. Calling a Black person that is not a coon, that's on code, a tether simply because they are not Black American is offensive. Nothing about the word tether is good. equis is Caribbean and that's a stomp down dude, I wouldn't dare call him a tether.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's the same thing the Nigerians say when we take issue with Akata. Calling a Black person that is not a coon, that's on code, a tether simply because they are not Black American is offensive. Nothing about the word tether is good. equis is Caribbean and that's a stomp down dude, I wouldn't dare call him a tether.
    Stop namedropping, Game!
    equis was somewhere minding his own business. But yeah, he's cool. He's no tether.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Yeah, I think some tethers are okay, I'm cool with a bunch of them actually. The tethers who like to take away from our culture are the ones that i'm not too fond of, and also the illegal immigrated tethers too I don't like also. But if you're an honest tether living in someone elses land, then I have no problems with them whatsoever. All I've said also goes with YTs also.
    Not all immigrants are tethers. The term "tether" is reserved for the ones who try to tie (tether) themselves to our culture and leech off of us.
    There's a difference.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I have a nuanced view as it relates to blacks and nationalism. Though I have Jamaican ancestry and grew up in America, none of these areas are a particular source of pride for me. My pride comes from being a black man who descended from ancestors who had the strength to survive the perils of slavery. With that being said, I think once issue across the diaspora (particularly without the descendents of the transatlantic slave trade) is our propensity to identify with the nations of our enslavement more readily than with those we've shared the black plight with internationally. I find it tiring when I hear black Caribbeans, black Latinos or black Americans having pep rallies celebrating their respective lands of enslavement. I can't help but think about all the atrocities that landed us in the Western hemisphere and how our people still are having the white supremacists game ran on us. I have no pride in any piece of earth on this side of the Atlantic.

As far as the term tether goes, its origins come from the alt-right term of tether babies. This is the (accurate) notion that certain groups of people (particularly Hispanics) would cross the border and have children here in order to take advantage of the 14th amendment and obtain American citizenship. This term has been adopted to be used in the B1 space to refer to blacks who's ancestors weren't enslaved in the continental US or who have roots entirety outside of the Transatlantic slave trade. I can't think of any context where the word tether wasn't used in a non derogatory way, so we have to add it to the lexicon of slurs that blacks of different ethnicities use against each other. Personally the word doesn't insult me since I think words like Yankee, Akata, and Tether are just ridiculous forms of name-calling that cause division, but I think it's important for everyone to recognize that these words are derogatory and aren't conducive to healthy conversation amongst blacks since it leads to people becoming defensive (and rightfully so).

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    As far as the term tether goes, its origins come from the alt-right term of tether babies.
    Yet another right wing ideology that Tariq has injected into Black society.
    The white folks who pay him have gotten a good return on their investment.
    aefae.png

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Why would WE of all people take offense to a word from a Nigerian LMAO
    mjlol
    Idk if Akata is a good word or bad word, but it has no history with us so I don't even care, nor do I associate with any Nigerians to begin with. But from what I heard, Akata is a word for an animal (I think a wild cat), which is basically calling us out of our humanity, while the "tether" word isn't just downright saying that they're not human like Akata is. Tether used as an insult is a kindergardener insult, it has no punch to it, so I doubt any tethers would take any offense to the word tbh.

I don't really see any Africans, nor Caribbeans rioting over the stupid word I'm not even using in a derogatory manner. Why are we always outraged for other groups, if they hate the word, then they would say it; they just simply do not care as much as you think they do.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    It's not supposed to be a good word. It's a purposefully vitriolic term that's used to describe off code & offensive behavior. That word is for culture thieves.
    I know but Yuskii said:
    I'm not really using it as a insult though, it's just less wordy to not say "Caribbean and Africans", or "Foreign born Blacks that aren't African-American ethnically",
    That's what I responding to.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Yet another right wing ideology that Tariq has injected into Black society.
    The white folks who pay him have gotten a good return on their investment.
    View attachment 4623
    Exactly. My main thing is folks being able to have dialogue. When I see these campaigns that break that down and turn our negative energy into a destructive force instead of a constructive force, it's huge red flags.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Why would WE of all people take offense to a word from a Nigerian LMAO
    mjlol
    Idk if Akata is a good word or bad word, but it has no history with us so I don't even care, nor do I associate with any Nigerians to begin with. But from what I heard, Akata is a word for an animal (I think a wild cat), which is basically calling us out of our humanity, while the "tether" word isn't just downright saying that they're not human like Akata is. Tether used as an insult is a kindergardener insult, it has no punch to it, so I doubt any tethers would take any offense to the word tbh.

I don't really see any Africans, nor Caribbeans rioting over the stupid word I'm not even using in a derogatory manner. Why are we always outraged for other groups, if they hate the word, then they would say it; they just simply do not care as much as you think they do.
    Because that word is a pejorative towards us. It's like when a Mexican person calls us a "mayate" it's calling us the "N-Word" but in their language. Disregarding someone calling us the "N-Word" because it is in another language is not a smart move.

At the end of the day tether is a Black person NOT of US descent that attempts to appropriate our likeness in order to undermine us. When you call a Black person a tether that is on code you are offending that person. It's like calling an on code Black American a coon.

All we're saying here is that the word is offensive and should only be used towards the people it applies to. Black Americans need to circle the wagons but we don't need to be so sloppy that we offend people that are on our side.

E

educatedman23

FBA culture is ours.
    I fully agree. That dude Mel from Secure the Tribe is one of them who is in a FBA group while pretending to be one of us.

E

educatedman23

Because that word is a pejorative towards us. It's like when a Mexican person calls us a "mayate" it's calling us the "N-Word" but in their language. Disregarding someone calling us the "N-Word" because it is in another language is not a smart move.

At the end of the day tether is a Black person NOT of US descent that attempts to appropriate our likeness in order to undermine us. When you call a Black person a tether that is on code you are offending that person. It's like calling an on code Black American a coon.

All we're saying here is that the word is offensive and should only be used towards the people it applies to. Black Americans need to circle the wagons but we don't need to be so sloppy that we offend people that are on our side.
    Yep. It only gives them power to say a derogative word even more.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean

At the end of the day tether is a Black person NOT of US descent that attempts to appropriate our likeness in order to undermine us. When you call a Black person a tether that is on code then you are offending that person. It's like calling an on code Black American a coon.

All we're saying here is that the word is offensive and should only be used against the people it applies to. Black Americans need to circle the wagons but we don't need to be so sloppy that we offend people that are on our side.
    I second this! A lot of people will use tether as a carpet bomb style term against all blacks of non US descent. I see it used in that context more than any other. Someone like me might be dispassionate about the word, but most people will take offense to such a term since people are people and one thing that comes with that is egos and pride. If someone's intention isn't to offend, then I'd be careful with the use of the word. But if folks want to keep using the word in broad terms that's fine. People just have to recognize how folks are gonna react to it.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    FBA culture is ours.
    What about those who were born and raised in the US around American blacks and don't strongly identify with their country of origin? Of course there's no excuse for usurping FBA culture like Busta Rhymes did by trying to say Jamaicans formed hip hop. That kind of line crossing should be checked. But besides examples like that, where are the lines in the sand drawn?

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    What about those who were born and raised in the US around American blacks and don't strongly identify with their country of origin? Of course there's no excuse for usurping FBA culture like Busta Rhymes did by trying to say Jamaicans formed hip hop. That kind of line crossing should be checked. But besides examples like that, where are the lines in the sand drawn?
    I'd liken the people who you described in your first question to white people who grew up in Black areas. Wiggers. The type of white folks who feel like they can say the n-word because they grew up around Black people. They may not identify with white culture (whatever that is), at all. However, just because they'd prefer fried chicken to kale salad doesn't change the fact that they aren't us.
    Who a person identifies as is of no concern to me. Who that person actually is, and where they're from is important, though.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I'd liken the people who you described in your first question to white people who grew up in Black areas. Wiggers. The type of white folks who feel like they can say the n-word because they grew up around Black people. They may not identify with white culture (whatever that is), at all. However, just because they'd prefer fried chicken to kale salad doesn't change the fact that they aren't us.
    Who a person identifies as is of no concern to me. Who that person actually is, and where they're from is important, though.
    That's a different case with white people since they're from a different racial group and they don't have a history tied to things such as slavery. So in this example a black person who had Bermudan ancestors but grew up in America would be wrong to identify with American black culture? If so, would he be better suited to turn away from his American upbringing and try to reconnect with his Burmudan culture?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Tariq created the term and so I'll go by his definition. By his definition I am not. If someone else sees me as the negative or uses the term for any foreigner, then I personally consider it 'off code' Others wouldn't and that person and I couldn't 'build' and fight white supremacy together.

I've long said, if you strip it all down, you are either 'on code' or 'off code' overall. Fighting white supremacy anywhere, and everywhere is on code. Accepting it, working against those that are fighting it is 'off code'. So, a 'tether' to me (and I would think 99% of FBAs would agree) is basically a non FBA coon and sees him/her no different than an FBA coon.

I am not offended by anyone who would see me as some other category. I just can't work with that person and if he or she is fighting white supremacy but only wants to do so with other FBAs so be it. I won't be that upset because at the end of the day, he/she is fighting white supremacy. Anyone that knows me personally, I got history with knows my paperwork and can vouch for me. In fact, all modesty aside, I'd say my paperwork is better than pretty much any average person out there. Not on here maybe because us as a group are not the norm. We are here because we want to congregate with like minded others in this fight.

I've been blessed to have done a fair amount of international traveling and on a few occasions I've seen black people, American, South African, Canadian, Brit, native African, all come together, vibing, usually in a FB group for blacks in a certain country where we don't have numbers and its the most beautiful thing to warm my heart seeing variety of us culturally all on code. We are a resource for each other, we call out racism, we keep it 1 buck, we learn about each others cultures, countries and our melanin is our uniform we wear proudly. Doesn't happen often, damn sure doesn't happen enough but when it does its beautiful AF and the true definition of pan-Africanism.

That's what I would think is the ultimate end goal of all this. Global, true, reciprocal pan-Africanism where we can move anywhere in the world and be similar to Jews, Indians, Arabs, Chinese where wherever they are upon landing they got a community that got their back. I've seen Indians born and raised in Kenya, South Africa, been there for generations, culturally that country but will have a born and bred Indian's back from jump upon arrival.

Sorta like a frat. I belong to a frat and where ever I go (although not nearly as active), where I ever visited in any city, I got bruh who got me without even knowing me.

May never happen, but I'd love for us all to be like that. For the here and now, America is the only place fighting with blacks fighting white supremacy like that, fighting it the hardest and I'm supporting those who are fighting it and not wasting time with those who aren't in other countries tryna convince them. Or those in America who aren't tryna be down.

So, I am 100 percent Tariq, TBA, Dr. Boyce, the rest would love to have me on the team helping the best way I can. Those that don't, that's on them. As long as they don't actively try to stop me from doing me, we good.

Lastly, I've said this several times in several threads, I consider support for reparations ONLY for FBAs to be on code. If you don't, be it FBA coon or non FBA you are off code and I can't f*ck with you. I also think in a 3D chess frame of mine, FBAs getting reparations from the most powerful country in the world is a global game changer for blacks globally. Non FBAs who aren't down, can't or won't see that.

And with that long ass intercontinental flight of a post, I'll land my plane.

shannoncigar

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    That's a different case with white people since they're from a different racial group and they don't have a history tied to things such as slavery. So in this example a black person who had Bermudan ancestors but grew up in America would be wrong to identify with American black culture? If so, would he be better suited to turn away from his American upbringing and try to reconnect with his Burmudan culture?
    White people absolutely DO have a history with American chattel slavery; they were the ones who enslaved us. They're actually a great example, because we're two sides.of the American coin.
    To directly answer your example though, my business partner is Trini. He was born here in the States, and he grew up around Black Americans. He is an American citizen by birth, but he is NOT a Foundational Black American. He knows and acknowledges that even though he was raised as an American, his roots are in the Caribbean. He doesn't need to turn away from his American upbringing, and he has the right to identify as an American, because legally, he is. He is also Black. However, he is not Foundational, despite his proximity to our culture.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    White people absolutely DO have a history with American chattel slavery; they were the ones who enslaved us. They're actually a great example, because we're two sides.of the American coin.
    To directly answer your example though, my business partner is Trini. He was born here in the States, and he grew up around Black Americans. He is an American citizen by birth, but he is NOT a Foundational Black American. He knows and acknowledges that even though he was raised as an American, his roots are in the Caribbean. He doesn't need to turn away from his American upbringing, and he has the right to identify as an American, because legally, he is. He is also Black. However, he is not Foundational, despite his proximity to our culture.
    For purposes of reparations, I would agree with anyone saying he shouldn't get it. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of blacks in America who aren't FBA but all they know is black American culture and actually roll mentally with black American culture than their ancestral culture. So much so, natives from his ancestral culture don't even see him as one of their own. I know a sista in Senegal who brought her kids there from the USA at an early age to 'build in Africa', single mom, FBA, kids born FBA, but her kids speak 100% no accent wolof, move like Senegalese and you wouldn't know they were FBAs on the street. At home their mom speaks like an FBA and they can to some degree. They don't visit the states and its all they know. So, I've seen it in reverse.

My view, any FBA who doesn't want any help from non FBAs is selling themselves short if that non FBA is 100% in agreement with what is trying to be done.

Every movement has this in the start. Every movement is defined not only by who it accepts but by who it leaves out. In the beginning, the Civil Rights movement was solely a southern Black thing. Northern blacks at that time generally looked at southern blacks as crazy as hell to be in a region where you can be lynched at anytime and you can't vote, etc. as well as not as sophisticated, 'country'. DC folks have a slang word called 'Bama' and it derives from southern blacks from Alabama and other places coming to DC and being uncultured in city living.

Eventually northern blacks joined. Some southern blacks who were already in the struggle weren't as open to northern blacks trying to get in late and act like they were in charge (Jesse Jackson).

So, its common. Eventually things will work out as long as the number one goal is fighting white supremacy.

GwynShivers

Royal Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Female
    Race
    Black
    It took whites 60 years to enslave us, with the help of Spaniards & Indians. They damn sure couldn't have done it without help, even with their weapons!

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    For purposes of reparations, I would agree with anyone saying he shouldn't get it. There are hundreds of thousands if not millions of blacks in America who aren't FBA but all they know is black American culture and actually roll mentally with black American culture than their ancestral culture. So much so, natives from his ancestral culture don't even see him as one of their own. I know a sista in Senegal who brought her kids there from the USA at an early age to 'build in Africa', single mom, FBA, kids born FBA, but her kids speak 100% no accent wolof, move like Senegalese and you wouldn't know they were FBAs on the street. At home their mom speaks like an FBA and they can to some degree. They don't visit the states and its all they know. So, I've seen it in reverse.

My view, any FBA who doesn't want any help from non FBAs is selling themselves short if that non FBA is 100% in agreement with what is trying to be done.

Every movement has this in the start. Every movement is defined not only by who it accepts but by who it leaves out. In the beginning, the Civil Rights movement was solely a southern Black thing. Northern blacks at that time generally looked at southern blacks as crazy as hell to be in a region where you can be lynched at anytime and you can't vote, etc. as well as not as sophisticated, 'country'. DC folks have a slang word called 'Bama' and it derives from southern blacks from Alabama and other places coming to DC and being uncultured in city living.

Eventually northern blacks joined. Some southern blacks who were already in the struggle weren't as open to northern blacks trying to get in late and act like they were in charge (Jesse Jackson).

So, its common. Eventually things will work out as long as the number one goal is fighting white supremacy.
    Where are you from?

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I do want to clarify what I meant when I said the white person in your example didn't have a history of slavery. I meant a history of being enslaved themselves. Of course whites were the ones doing the enslaving.
    I brought up the point of the white person not having a history of being descended from slaves to highlight the fact that non American blacks in the West were also subjected to slavery from whites, so the example of the white boy trying to assimilate into black American culture isn't the same as a non American originating black person doing the same thing.
    To respond to your point using the example of your Trinidadian associate, when would he be crossing the line when associating with foundational black Americans and the culture? Of course he could acknowledge that he's black and an American citizen with a Caribbean background, but what aspects of the FBA experience would be off limits to him?

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I would say this about using the word 'tether' for all non FBAs even if they are down. That person is creating their own definition. They are literally changing the accepted definition. That's their business but if we are being accurate, its what any person who does that is doing. I'm not butt hurt about it one iota.

That being said, I keeps it moving...lol. As I said in a previous post, as long as the major influencers (TBA, Tariq, Dr. Boyce, etc,) are cool with me doing all I can to make it all happen, I really, don't give a f*ck about someone else's view of me...lol. I speak on it here because of others who are in my position.

I (as well as everyone else) got my own circle of homies, peeps who we fight white supremacy, chat, etc, on a personal level. I'm maybe one of 2 who aren't full FBA.

This very site accepts non FBAs...the irony is too funny.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I do want to clarify what I meant when I said the white person in your example didn't have a history of slavery. I meant a history of being enslaved themselves. Of course whites were the ones doing the enslaving.
    I brought up the point of the white person not having a history of being descended from slaves to highlight the fact that non American blacks in the West were also subjected to slavery from whites,
    Agreed. However, even though most Black people in The Americas were affected by slavery, the countries who enslaved our ancestors differ. The United States owes me reparations, England owes you. I have no right to the check you get from England, and you have no claim to to what I am owed. We need to keep the accounting straight.
    so the example of the white boy trying to assimilate into black American culture isn't the same as a non American originating black person doing the same thing.
    To respond to your point using the example of your Trinidadian associate, when would he be crossing the line when associating with foundational black Americans and the culture? Of course he could acknowledge that he's black and an American citizen with a Caribbean background, but what aspects of the FBA experience would be off limits to him?
    You actually already provided a great answer to that in one of your earlier posts when you mentioned Busta Rhymes (and Fat Joe) trying to claim credit for Caribbeans creating hip hop.
    An example of crossing a line would be if my business partner tried to claim a cultural connection to Juneteenth, which was until last year a Black American holiday. Another example of crossing the line would be him interjecting himself into our reparations fight, or (and this happens A LOT) speaking on what form our reparations should arrive in. The reparations fight of the Black American isn't the fight of our international cousins. They have their own business to deal with.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Way back in the day, I had a pan Africanist mindset. A lot of us, if not all of us started out like that probably.

I genuinely saw ANY black achievement as my history and I saw any wrong against us as against me. I was proud of it all the achievements and angry as hell at all the wrongs done to any black person anywhere and I personalized it all. Sitting in class hearing the savagery of slavery in the American south I saw it as it happening to my people. Mentally it was my ancestors. I got pulled over by cops, blatant racism, etc, the same as everyone else and those same experiences that brought you to this point brought me as well

I didn't agree with west Africans tripping on us wearing kinte cloth, or Jamaicans tripping other blacks wearing dreadlocks, or FBAs on adopting black American culture.

Now, older, more information, I can see things needed changing. It wasn't all cut and dry, black and white anymore. I now see it all as on code, off code. There are gray areas. Is it on code or off code to wear traditional African things if you are not from that tribe?

That's a gray area. Fighting white supremacy has no gray area though. That's cut and dry.

Rollie Forbes

Royal Sixer
    Super Moderator
    Down From Day 1
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    Is it on code or off code to wear traditional African things if you are not from that tribe?
    I'm a fan of history. One of my favorite historical figures is King Shaka. As impressed as I am by his military accomplishments, as a Black American, I have no cultural connection to anything that he did. On the flip side, my African brothers can't claim a connection to Dr. Charles Drew's medical accomplishments.
    We don't share a cultural connection.
    As far as wearing kente or mudcloth, knock yourself out. If Nancy Pelosi can wear it, then so can you.

equis

Sixer
    Tither
    App Beta Tester
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    Agreed. However, even though most Black people in The Americas were affected by slavery, the countries who enslaved our ancestors differ. The United States owes me reparations, England owes you. I have no right to the check you get from England, and you have no claim to to what I am owed. We need to keep the accounting straight.
    In this case I wasn't bringing up the shared history in order to overlap our struggles in the context of reparations. I'm referring to the daily social interactions between FBA and non-FBA blacks. Yes the US and England are two different countries now, but before July 4th of 1776, FBA were still enslaved under the English crown. Us having a shared history doesn't take away from the fact that the United States owes FBA reparations and Non-FBA shouldn't be impeding on that at all. There's definitely an agreement there. But I've been noticing that there's a growing animosity towards non-FBA blacks due to this notion that they're somehow going to take reparations from the FBA. While I do agree there's plenty of money hungry non-FBA negros with no integrity that would gladly take a slice out of that pie, the main thing barring FBA from reparations isn't other blacks, it's the white supremacist system. This fear of the non-FBA coming and scavenging off the reparations owed to the FBA has shifted the focus and conversation from fighting white supremacy to "we've gotta do something about these tethers".
    You actually already provided a great answer to that in one of your earlier posts when you mentioned Busta Rhymes (and Fat Joe) trying to claim credit for Caribbeans creating hip hop.
    An example of crossing a line would be if my business partner tried to claim a cultural connection to Juneteenth, which was until last year a Black American holiday. Another example of crossing the line would be him interjecting himself into our reparations fight, or (and this happens A LOT) speaking on what form our reparations should arrive in. The reparations fight of the Black American isn't the fight of our international cousins. They have their own business to deal with.
    I could get with that more or less. I do believe that there should be more international black support for the FBA fight for reparations though, but these are getting into some deeper topics though.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean

This.

Fortunately, as I said before, those with the largest platforms and the person who coined the phrase define it totally different. As I stated before, this is taking already defined term and changing it to fit that persons personal feelings.

For me, and no disrespect to the person who sees it differently, when I say I personally give a f*ck what one random person defines it as because he has zero impact, influence on me.

It would become an issue if the people on the biggest platforms stop accepting black allies with paperwork. Then, I'll have to find another place, people to fight the good fight.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    I remember when only black Texans celebrated Juneteenth. I recall a time if you asked any random brotha off the street in Harlem, Roxbury (Boston), north Philly what is Juneteenth they'd have no idea and if they did, it was seen as a Texan thing.

I once got invited by a South African brotha to a little get together to celebrate the day of ending of Apartheid. Various independence days of former black colonies as well.

At the time I saw it as a 'win' for all black people. The people who invited me saw me as a fellow black person being happy for THEIR win and me seeing that win as a secondary win for me.

When apartheid ended and Mandela was free, FBAs in America celebrated. I guess that was wrong if we are going to use the strict definition by some. Same with black churches wearing kinte cloth lined clothes to church.

Basically ANY black person or black people winning is a win for me in the large scope of things.

Some feel differently.

Finally, would our master teachers see it differently? Dr. John Henrik Clarke knows more black history than 99% of all Africans. Dr. Short as well. Both wanted reparations for black Americans (FBAs). Yet, they all celebrated in black wins globally.

So, if Caricom gets reparations I'll celebrate it, if the African colonies get the bag from England and France, I'll celebrate it. Those that don't or have some other definition, etc whatever.

I'll link with those that move the way I think is on code by how I define it. Those that don't as long as they aren't actively trying to stop me from doing what I do, then no issues, do them.

Yuskii

Sixer
    Community Host
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    I didn't agree with west Africans tripping on us wearing kinte cloth, or Jamaicans tripping other blacks wearing dreadlocks, or FBAs on adopting black American culture.

Now, older, more information, I can see things needed changing. It wasn't all cut and dry, black and white anymore. I now see it all as on code, off code. There are gray areas. Is it on code or off code to wear traditional African things if you are not from that tribe?
    I think what could be changed to combat this, is just respect other Black peoples differences. We are not all the same (obviously), and that can be used to our strength, because when outsiders to your culture try to lay claim to something that's not theirs, it creates alot of division too, I'm okay with anyone gatekeeping their culture if they feel like the individual at hand are disrespecting them. We are all Black, but we gotta remember we are all humans, and humans look for a sense of an exclusive community and customs, and they like to preserve them too, so I understand why someone would feel some type of way about it.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    This.

Fortunately, as I said before, those with the largest platforms and the person who coined the phrase define it totally different. As I stated before, this is taking already defined term and changing it to fit that persons personal feelings.

For me, and no disrespect to the person who sees it differently, when I say I personally give a f*ck what one random person defines it as because he has zero impact, influence on me.

It would become an issue if the people on the biggest platforms stop accepting black allies with paperwork. Then, I'll have to find another place, people to fight the good fight.
    My biggest issue is how it was used so loosely in the beginning. When it started getting out of control that’s when the “non-Black coon” definition was reinforced.

A lot of people are impressionable so you can’t run around calling immigrants tethers, talking about jollof rice, and then be surprised when it gets out of hand.

RCNAL

Sixer First Class+
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    Caribbean
    All FBAs aren't the same. America is big as hell. A born and bred FBA from Philadelphia, Mississippi is very different culturally, accent, etc, than a born and bred FBA If from Philadelphia, Pa.

The FBA from Philadelphia, Pa would have more in common with a non FBA from Philly than he would from the FBA brother from Philadelphia, Ms.

Because systemic and endemic racism is practiced all over America, they share an immediate bond. If both are in an all white area in Denver, they give each other the brotha nod, we all know well.

The SAME with the on code non FBAs. If you are a black person period, stopping at a gas station in an all white town in Arkansas, your car got California tags, another car has a Barbados bumper sticker and NY tags, you are giving each other the brotha nod. You are both 'behind enemy lines' and know that you are both equally at risk.

What bonds or should bond ALL blacks in America, especially black men is that systemic racism overtly and covertly is practiced nationally, 24/7 and it bonds us all.

One person may not share the ancestry of the killing fields of the south, but they share as hell share the reality of the present of being black in America.

This other stuff? Cultural this and that, etc, that can all work itself if everyone involved is fighting white supremacy.

Jay

The First Sixer
    HNIC
    zBucks
    Sex
    Male
    Race
    Black
    Origin
    USA
    The FBA from Philadelphia, Pa would have more in common with a non FBA from Philly than he would from the FBA brother from Philadelphia, Ms.
    I can’t co-sign this at all. Maybe superficially but culturally two Black Americans will have more in common than someone of a difficult culture. A Black New Yorker and a Black Californian are not that different when you get passed the regional differences.